TREASURE HUNT EPIC QUEST is an outdoor game where the winner gets the prize. This game is governed by these official rules (“Official Rules”). TREASURE HUNT EPIC QUEST is subject to all federal, state, and local laws and regulations, in particular by California Business and Professions Code §§ 17539-17539.3. By participating in TREASURE HUNT EPIC QUEST, each participant agrees to abide by these Official Rules, including all eligibility requirements.
• GENERAL DEFINITIONS
• HUNTING SUMMARY AND TIPS
• THE HUNT
• THE RIDDLE
• OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE AND SECRET GROUPS
• TREASURE HUNTERS AND TEAMS
• THE TREASURE
• THE WARRANTY OF FAIRNESS
• PROHIBITED PRACTICES, LAWS TO OBEY, AND RECOMMENDED BEHAVIOR
• COVID PRECAUTIONS
• RESERVATION OF RIGHTS
• ASSUMPTION OF RISK, INDEMNITY, RELEASE, AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY FORM
The term “Treasure Hunt” refers to each particular TREASURE HUNT EPIC QUEST game. Since participants are hunting for Treasure, we prefer to call it a Treasure Hunt.
“Treasure Hunter” means a participant; a person who purchased a Ticket and registered for the particular Treasure Hunt.
“Ticket” means a ticket to a specific Treasure Hunt purchased by Treasure Hunter on the Website. Ticket gives the right to participate in a specific Treasure Hunt. Ticket may be purchased on the Website by anyone who is legally capable and at least 18 years old residing in the United States.
“Team” refers to a group of Treasure Hunters who together declared their team composition in a specific Treasure Hunt.
“Treasure” refers to the prize hidden for every particular Treasure Hunt and designated for those who find it first. It consists of gold and/or silver in the sum previously announced for each Treasure Hunt that varies from $1,000 up to $10,000.
“Riddles” are usually complex and consist of several parts, which vary from one game to another to make each Treasure Hunt as fun and exciting as possible. The Riddles are only available to Treasure Hunters and are to be revealed in our Secret Groups.
“Website” means this website www.treasurehuntepicquest.com.
“Official Facebook Page” means our official Facebook group named TREASURE HUNT EPIC QUEST. The link to the page is www.facebook.com/TreasureHuntEpicQuest. Each person who buys a ticket and joins our Official Facebook Page then requests access to our Secret Groups created for each particular Treasure Hunt (the “Secret Group”) through Facebook chat.
HUNTING SUMMARY AND TIPS
By purchasing Ticket, you receive a letter automatically by email that contains your unique registration code to enter our Secret Group for the Treasure Hunt you chose. You can request an invitation to our Secret Group through the chat on our Official Facebook Page. Treasure Hunt usually starts on Saturday at 9 AM (actual time may vary; refer to TICKETS on for the specific details). We reveal Riddles in Secret Group so all Treasure Hunters can see Riddles simultaneously. We recommend you are ready to start Treasure Hunt the moment Riddle is released.
Once Riddle has been made visible in Secret Group, you must solve it to find several locations to find all the clues and finally find the location where Treasure is hidden.
We build our Riddles so that as you solve them, the solutions move you closer and closer to Treasure.
YOU DO NOT NEED A SHOVEL! We want to leave our wild nature looking great, so tread lightly and pick up your trash. All Treasures are hidden diligently, but not buried! Treasure itself is always marked by a large wooden X.
All you need is the company of a good Team (unless you’re going solo), some fluids, snacks for your lunch, and a thirst for adventure! If you find Treasure first, it is yours!
Every Treasure Hunt is held within one specific county, so each Treasure Hunt is designated by the name of the county in which it is held. The boundaries of each Treasure Hunt are the boundaries of the designated county.
Hunts are held on weekends, generally, start on Saturday at 9 AM, and are conducted in a way that participants should find Treasure before sunset on Sunday.
If no one finds Treasure before the end of the first day of Treasure Hunt, the next morning we reveal additional clues.
If Treasure isn’t found within the designated weekend ― this isn’t our intention but it can happen ― we will preserve Treasure at the place it was hidden until someone can find it. Therefore, Treasure Hunt continues until Treasure is found.
We reveal Riddle for each Treasure Hunt to Treasure Hunters in the corresponding Secret Group on the first day of each particular Treasure Hunt. Usually, this occurs Saturday at 9 AM (actual time may vary; watch TICKETS for the specific details).
Each Riddle is designed to be solved within 24 hours, but Treasure Hunt may last for up to two days.
We build our Riddles in the following way: each Riddle has several stages, a few clues on each stage. The clue you receive on the last stage shall lead you right to Treasure.
Every Riddle is a well-planned scenario of adventures and clues that leads you to Treasure, but we reserve the right to amend any Riddle with the appropriate notification to all Treasure Hunters. We also reserve the right to reveal extra clues on Sunday morning if Treasure has not been found by Saturday night.
OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE AND SECRET GROUPS
Treasure Hunt is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook. Facebook is not a partner of Treasure Hunt.
On our Official Facebook Page (www.facebook.com/TreasureHuntEpicQuest) we are available for general questions and inquiries. We also use Facebook to coordinate each Treasure Hunt; in Secret Groups we post Riddles and additional clues when each Treasure Hunt begins.
When you buy Ticket, you receive an email automatically with your unique registration code to request access to Secret Group for a chosen Treasure Hunt.
Be sure to request access to Secret Group at least 24 hours before Treasure Hunt begins.
The following 3 steps are required to get access to the specific Secret Group:
• Press "Like" on our Official Facebook Page
• Click on the button "Send Message"
• Choose the option "Registration" and type in your unique registration code
You will receive an invitation shortly after completing the above 3 steps!
Secret Groups are designed to be a kind of closed group of participants for each specific Treasure Hunt. Within, all participants discuss things related to the current Hunt, share fun photos of their experiences, ask for help in case of need, and participate in additional contests we hold. Within this group, you will be able to access Riddle and any additional materials such as maps, clues, and all other information surrounding Treasure Hunt being released periodically by those running Treasure Hunt once it begins.
Do not forget to check Secret Group during Treasure Hunt to get updates and clues.
TREASURE HUNTERS AND TEAMS
To declare Team composition one of its members shall make a post within Secret Group before Treasure Hunt starts, with the name of their Team along with all Team members tagged.
All Treasure Hunters participating in one Team shall play together without dividing into mini-teams to get multiple clues simultaneously, which is prohibited and will result in immediate disqualification.
All Treasure Hunters who did not declare their Teams are deemed to be Teams of 1 person.
In the case of a win, Treasure Hunter who declared the Team composition is the authorized taker of the entire prize in full and who decides at their sole discretion how to distribute its parts between Team members. This Treasure Hunter is required to provide a completed IRS Form W-9 with a valid social security number, and in the event of a win, IRS Form 1099 shall be issued in the name of the winning Treasure Hunter.
Every Treasure Hunter is to obey all federal, state, and local laws and regulations so as to not bring disorder in areas where Treasure Hunts are held.
Every particular Treasure Hunter participating in any Treasure Hunt automatically agrees with the terms of these Official Rules and ASSUMPTION OF RISK, INDEMNITY, RELEASE, AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY FORM. No person shall be considered as a Treasure Hunt participant and shall attempt to enter Treasure Hunt without agreeing with these Official Rules.
Everybody residing in the U.S. can purchase Tickets freely on Website to participate in any Treasure Hunt with the only restriction:
Any person being less than 18 years old needs to be accompanied by their parent or guardian who also participates in the same Treasure Hunt in one Team with such minor.
NO CHILDREN ARE PERMITTED TO PARTICIPATE IN TREASURE HUNT UNLESS THEIR PARENT OR GUARDIAN PARTICIPATES IN TREASURE HUNT IN ONE TEAM WITH THEM.
The purchaser of Ticket is called Treasure Hunter. One Ticket applies to one person.
Since every Treasure Hunt is a unique adventure designed for a limited number of participants, we accept no returns and make no refunds for the Tickets once purchased except as described in these Official Rules. Moreover, if you discover that you cannot participate in Treasure Hunt that you purchased Ticket for, we encourage you to transfer your Ticket to somebody who can participate and notify us of that person’s information so that we can give them access to Secret Group.
YES ― THE TREASURE IS REAL! THE PERSON OR TEAM THAT FINDS IT GETS TO KEEP IT!
Every Treasure is a kit of real gold and silver ― bars and coins ― that we hide in a specific county in California. For Hunts taking place in 2021, we will hide Treasure that amounts from $1,000 up to $10,000 for each Treasure Hunt. There is always one Treasure per Treasure Hunt.
We use only public lands for Treasure Hunt and encourage you not to bother property owners within the designated county as they have no Treasure. This may also risk trespassing on their property. The following lands are considered to be public for the Hunt:
● National parks, seashores, and recreation areas;
● State parks, beaches, and recreation areas;
● Other public territories belonging to counties or cities within.
Remember, you are required to obey the laws governing each piece of public land you visit during Treasure Hunt.
Treasure Hunts can take place on different public lands. For example, the first clue for Treasure Hunt you participate in may be located in a national park while the next clue may be in a state park.
Treasure is hidden with diligence but will not be buried; you will not need to have a shovel to dig up Treasure if you find it. The X will always mark the spot. The color, form, and size of the X mark may vary. The X is typically around 10 inches across and will be right on the top of Treasure.
In case you find the Treasure, you must inform us immediately that you have found the X via Facebook Messenger on Facebook to Secret Group administrator. Then, we will immediately stop Treasure Hunt, have a quick interview with you, then take photos of you with your prize!
The member of the winning Team who declared their Team composition is required to provide a completed IRS Form W-9 with a valid social security number, and IRS Form 1099 shall be issued in the name of the winning Treasure Hunter at the end of the game.
YOU CANNOT TAKE THE X mark but can take the box from Treasure with you or leave them both where you found them. We will tidy up the place soon after Treasure Hunt ends.
THE WARRANTY OF FAIRNESS
In the process of every Treasure Hunt organization, we place fairness above all the rest. Only Treasure Hunters can see Riddles.
We prohibit making any part of Riddle public, such as publishing it or any of its parts on social networks, anywhere else on the web, or transferring Riddle or its parts to third parties that are not participants.
IN ORDER TO KEEP THE GAME AS EXCITING AS WE PLANNED IT, WE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY EVERY PERSON RELATED TO OR CONNECTED WITH A CIRCLE OF PERSONS THAT MAKE THE RIDDLE OR ITS PARTS PUBLIC OR OTHERWISE VIOLATE THESE RULES.
For each Treasure Hunt, we use our staff to monitor the locations of the Treasure Hunt. This is to avoid any unplanned incidents with Treasure and Treasure Hunt participants.
Also, we reserve the right to keep a mini spy camera close to the hidden Treasure.
We love to share the emotions of these hunting journeys; we choose the most scenic places to hide our clues. This is why we encourage you to take your own photos and videos and share your best moments with others. It's not the only reason, EVERY WINNING TEAM SHALL POST PHOTOS OF THEMSELVES FROM EVERY WAYPOINT ALONG THE JOURNEY WHERE CLUES WERE FOUND. This is how we confirm Team worked together without splitting into several mini-teams to get an advantage over other Treasure Hunters, which is prohibited.
PROHIBITED PRACTICES, LAWS TO OBEY AND RECOMMENDED BEHAVIOR
To create an extraordinary experience and keep everyone out of trouble, we encourage every participant to become familiar with the following 10 points:
1) Do not smoke, drink alcohol, or leave any trash after you. Maintain a healthy environment around you. We reserve the right to disqualify the entire Team if any of its members behave in a way that is inappropriate, reckless, or toxic enough to spoil the experience of other participants of Treasure Hunt.
2) DO NOT POST OR SHARE THE RIDDLE OR THE CLUES ON SOCIAL MEDIA AND/OR THROUGH ANY OTHER MEANS TO THIRD PARTIES. If participants share Riddle or clues with anyone outside of Treasure Hunt such as the general public via social media, we will disqualify the entire Team immediately and will enforce a permanent ban for future Hunts. Furthermore, the Ticket for the current Treasure Hunt will be revoked, and any retrieval attempts to acquire Treasure after that will be met with legal action. We reserve the right to seek damages in court in cases where Treasure Hunt is ruined due to the above behavior of a participant.
3) Do not dig anywhere. Do not break or destroy anything around you. Do not take anything from public lands except Treasure if you find it. We love the quote, “Take only memories, leave only footprints.”
4) Respect private property and do not trespass on any private property under the pretense of Treasure Hunt. Respect public property and use it in a manner that is safe and reasonable. We always require that every participant of Treasure Hunt conduct themselves with the highest level of personal integrity and respect to every community member and toward all manner of property.
5) If you are going to participate in Treasure Hunt that is not held in the county where you live, we recommend you consider and plan all the details of your stay in that county in advance, as you may need an overnight stay or have other needs. Examine the map of the area where Treasure Hunt will be held. Note everything that may seem useful to solve Riddle.
6) While you are out hunting for Treasure, it is strongly encouraged that you follow all local, state, and federal guidelines that are currently in place. Always read the rules regulating your activity on the public land you are going to be visiting (National Park Service Laws, Policies & Regulations; California Department of Parks and Recreation Rules and Regulations Summary; and others). Remember that when visiting federal parks, seashores, and recreation areas, federal law differs from state law.
7) If you decide to take your pet on Treasure Hunt, please, make sure that it is leashed or caged the entire time that you are on public lands. Do not forget to pick up after your pet.
8) Since you are exploring wild nature, we ask you to be prepared: have some snacks and fluids for you and your Team, dress appropriately for the weather, and keep a paper map on hand in case of limited or no cellular service. Keep the pioneering spirit!
9) Take photos and videos! You’re experiencing a real Treasure Hunt—something few have done before—and you’re going to love sharing this with your friends afterward!
10) Be friendly. If some of Treasure Hunters are in need, stuck in clay, or lost in the forest and you are close, be kind and offer help to those who may need it.
Due to COVID-19, all participants (unless you are vaccinated) must wear masks and try to keep a 6-foot distance from other parties that they may encounter on the way. While it may not sound pleasant, Treasure Hunt wants to be as accommodating as possible to social distancing. Keeping your distance also helps keep other teams from finding out all the details of your search for Treasure!
We encourage you to familiarize yourself with the relevant COVID-19 measures and limitations that are in effect in the area where you are going to participate in Treasure Hunt.
RESERVATION OF RIGHTS
We hold no responsibility for determining the rightful claimant in the rare event that multiple Teams locate Treasure at the same time.
We reserve the right to cancel or reschedule Hunts as mandated by governing entities or due to any other unforeseen circumstances or circumstances at our sole discretion with short notice to all participants. If Treasure Hunt needs to be rescheduled or canceled before Treasure Hunt starts, all Tickets will be refunded.
We reserve the right to refuse any participant access for any reason. We keep this right to have the power to ban swindlers and trolls before the game is affected.
We reserve the right to alter any Treasure Hunt if there is a confidentiality breach of any kind by any participant, such as if someone publishes Riddle on social media.
We reserve the right to alter any Riddle with appropriate notice to Treasure Hunters within Secret Group.
DO NOT SHARE THE RIDDLE OR ANY CLUES FOR ANY REASON TO ANYONE OTHER THAN YOURSELF OR YOUR HUNT TEAMMATES.